41625 Oberlin-Elyria Road
Elyria, Ohio 44035

Phone: (440) 322-6391

[
Map]
Mobile Site

History

William Flynn

Worthington Ball Company of Elyria then known as Worthington Mfg. Co. in 1903 acquired the entire line of golf equipment from Hunt Mfg. Co. of Massachusetts. In the line were the “Haskell” patents on the first three-piece wound rubber golf ball, a ball that was developed by Clevelander Coburn Haskell in collaboration with an engineer from B.F. Goodrich in Akron in 1898. The ball they produced was dubbed “Bounding Billie” and it completely changed the game from the way it was previously played using the solid “gutta-percha” ball.

Walter Travis won two U.S. Amateurs and Sandy Herd won the British Open with the new ball.

In short ,Worthington executives, Dr. Bert Sanders and Sol B.Leonard wished to promote their business by establishing golf in Elyria. Fifty interested members attended a meeting in 1904, an astonishing number considering only two Elyrians, William N.Gates and F. Stacey Miller had ever played the game.

The birthday of Elyria Country Club was April 18, 1905 and its first elected Board President was Arthur L. Garford, a very successful wealthy Elyria Industrialist and inventor with many patents including the first bicycle saddle. He was also a close friend of President Theodore Roosevelt for whom he helped get elected to a second term.

The golf course for many years until 1925 was a 9-hole layout until purchases of land enhanced by the flowing “Black River” made it possible to expand.

The famous renowned golf course architect, William S. Flynn of Ardmore, Pa. was contracted to design and develop 18 new holes on 161 acres. The new course opened on July 4, 1926. The first foursome used gold-plated golf balls , courtesy of the Worthington Ball Co. of Elyria who were later to become the largest producers of golf balls in the World.

The original converted farmhouse redesigned as the clubhouse burned to the ground in August 1947 and a new beautiful one built and opened in June 1950. It was further renovated and expanded in 1997. A new swimming pool replaced the previous 42 year old one in 1994. Elyria Country Club is among the few 100 plus year old clubs in the State of Ohio that sits on it original property.


Jim Callihan – Historian

Past President & Life Member